The entire mansion, elegant and sober, attributed to the architect and sculptor Pierre Puget, was built from 1654 to 1658. Its facade was designed by the architect Laurent Vallon. The mansion was classified as a Historic Monument in 1937.
The 18th century carved wooden entrance door opens onto a large hall leading to a typical Aix-syle baroque staircase. The museum collection was originally comprised of objects donated by the patron. Amongst its exhibits is the writing bureau of Admiral Thomas d’Estienne d’Orves, who under Louis XVI was Admiral of the Indian Ocean, a talking nativity scene, an 18th century painted screen on the theme of God’s feast and a 17th century model for an unrealised artwork of the baptism of Saint Peter by the Italian painter Giovanni Battista Gaulli.
Contributing to the vitality of this site, in the heart of the old city between the Town Hall and the Cathedral of St. Sauveur, the FDESJ has, as part of its objective, to support and promote cultural and educational activities in the spirit of the patron in cooperation with the department of heritage of the city and the Association of Friends of the Museums of Aix.